At Ábaco Developments we are very focused on Digital strategies due to the expansion situation that the Covid-19 crisis is causing in this sector. This time we are going to tackle from a purely business point of view what 3 tips we can give you when starting organic search engine positioning initiatives. We insist that they are purely business criteria, so technical SEO topics (or at least the minimum possible) will not be addressed in order to take a purely business approach.
1st Tip - The first advice we can give you is to think about TIME. What do we mean by time? We mean that SEO positioning strategies, unlike what happens with SEM strategies, will pay off in relatively high time ranges. Around 6 months at least to obtain the first significant results. Also, once the effects begin to show, they are not likely to be very accelerated either.
One of the most important factors to value when starting an SEO strategy will be how relevant my business is in the sector where I am. If we do not really have a position of preponderance in our sector, it will be practically impossible to have significant results in short periods of time. Why does this occur? We will explain them with 2 additional terms:
- Main keywords: They are those searches in the search engines that accumulate most of the searches in the sector. If we are not very relevant in our sector, it will be very difficult to position ourselves in these searches since the major players will have made efforts to acquire a predominant position.
- Long-tail: These are the rest of searches in the sector, where companies that do not predominate in their sector have their niche of action.
If we want to position ourselves in main Keywords, it will take a long time to unseat large already positioned competitors, while if we attack long-tail searches, the number of searches will be significantly reduced and again the process of increasing organic traffic will be slow.
2nd Tip - The second important tip when starting SEO strategies is that you do not forget to assess the workload for the internal team involved in developing the strategy.
This workload is arduous especially when it comes to generating content aligned with the communication styles of our company.
The way to position yourself with content in SEO strategies frequently collides with the communication style of the company that is developing the strategy. Therefore, there will be a significant workload in several internal areas of the company:
- The first of these will be the management of conflicts of interest that arise between the team that leads the SEO positioning initiative (generally it will be the Internet area, the sales area or CRM areas) and the team that leads the identity initiatives. brand and branding content generation (generally it will be the area of external and / or internal communication). In any case, this is a classic dichotomy of companies. Sell? Or do I create a brand?
- La segunda de las cargas de trabajo se refiere a la propia generación de contenidos que requiere la estrategia de posicionamiento SEO. Como hemos mencionado en el punto anterior, la Comunicación de la empresa tiene una identidad propia que no podrá perderse, y por tanto existirá una carga de trabajo importante en revisión y generación de contenidos de todo tipo: textos para el blog interno, textos para publicaciones externas, imágenes y vídeos principalmente.
3rd Tip - The third advice - and, nevertheless, the most important of all - that we can give you when it comes to approaching an SEO strategy is to carry out in a very serious way before starting anything the Evaluation of the return on investment in SEO.
We recommend that this assessment of the return be made at a minimum of 3 years, since as we have mentioned in the first tip, the times in which results are seen are long and once they are seen, they are not fast results either.
When evaluating the result in order to measure the return on investment, it is important not to forget several important points:
- The growth by organic traffic due to SEO positioning will have a good quality, since they will be terms that we have previously valued as qualified for our target audience. Therefore, regarding the conversion% values, locate
in the high bands.
- As in any other element of traffic attraction, we will have to take into account that organic traffic will not be the only one that grows, always producing a certain percentage that will be around 20% -30% of traffic from other sources.
- The average cart that we value, if time allows us to reach this level of finesse, must be broken down by the average carts of the product sections that correspond to the positioned searches.